Buckling plaster, sagging drywall, discoloration, and dripping water from the ceiling can lead to numerous issues in your household.
Even though it seems that water is coming out of nowhere, you should know that this particular problem is just a symptom of a more significant issue regarding your home system.
As soon as the ceiling shows the signs of dripping water and damage, you should check out two essential systems: plumbing and roofing.
In case you have noticed visible signs of water damage from ceilings above your head, it is essential to do something about it ASAP. That is the main reason you should find a plumber in Haymarket to prevent further issues that may lead to structural problems.
Simultaneously, excessive water within your household can lead to mold infestation, which is unhealthy and can lead to respiratory issues in your family.
We are more concerned with plumbing-related leaks, which is why you will learn everything about it in the other text.
How Should You Deal With Plumbing-Related Leaks?
Handling plumbing fixtures and pipes that causes ceiling leaks is not something everyone can take, mostly because it can happen for numerous reasons.
Therefore, the way you address the issue depends on the cause and root of a problem.
Suppose you wish to do it yourself. In that case, it is vital to have proper tools, including drywall saw flashlight, various types of wrenches, thread-seal tape, plumber’s putty, replacement fittings, and pipes depending on a problem, grout sealer, and grout and drywall repair materials.
In case you have issues below the bathroom, plumbing fixtures such as showers and toilets are responsible. It would be best to inspect your bathroom to determine leakages’ position compared with fixtures you have.
You should mark the particular part of the ceiling and remove it to determine the cause and why it happens. We recommend you avoid cutting into wires, joists, and other pipes while removing the surface.
When you remove the damaged ceiling section, you should check out for visible signs. In most cases, you will notice a faulty fixture that will lead to problems. If you wish to make sure that this is the problem, we recommend running a shower or toilet to recreate the leak.
In case you see water dripping, you will be able to identify a source with ease. You should click here to learn the importance of dealing with leakage for your overall health.
You should start the process by checking your bathtub for particular cracks and damages. In case you cannot notice anything, we recommend you run your shower or bath and inspect the ceiling to see whether it will spread or not.
We can differentiate numerous reasons why bathtub can leak, including:
- Lousy Drain Gasket – If the dripping appears from the center of the tub, it means that you have issues with the faulty drain gasket. The best way to repair it is by disassembling the drain trap and replacing assembly. You will need a tub drain tool, channel-lock pliers, plumber’s putty, and replacement drain gasket and assembly.
- Drain Trap – Another reason for leakage can happen due to loose connection or severe drain trap corrosion. In most situations, you will determine this particular cause by running water in the tub and seeing that water is dripping from the drain trap. In some cases, you can fix it by using channel-lock pliers and tightening the connections. However, if the web is too corroded, you should replace it with plastic assembly instead.
- Faucet Valve – If the problem is in faucet valve, it means that it leaks behind the tub, and water will go through the cavity into a ceiling. Remember that this problem is steady and will cause severe problems if you do not do something about it. Repairs tend to vary depending on numerous factors, such as the nature of leaking. However, it would help if you turned off the water supply valve, which will allow you to fix it with ease. In some cases, you will be able to fix it by dealing with loose connections, while the problems can be more challenging as well, which means that you will need to replace an entire faucet valve.
- Water Supply Pipes – You should know that one of the biggest problems that can happen to your household is leakage that occurs within water supply pipes. It means that they have eroded, which lead to crack and created a leak. Since the process is constant, you need to address it as soon as possible. Generally, it is a form of a plumbing emergency, significantly since negligence can affect your household’s structural integrity. The first thing you should do is to shut water completely to stop the flow. In some cases, repairs can be straightforward, which means that you can re-solder copper pipe fittings or tighten mechanical pipe joints. However, issues that are more complicated include removing the entire piping section and replacement, which you will not be able to do by yourself. That is why we recommend you find a plumbing professional to help you along the way.
- Faulty Door Seal – As soon as you open a stained part of the ceiling, you should start water in the shower and start looking for the cavity. If you notice dripping water, it means that you have a problem with the door seal. The easiest way to deal with this particular problem is to implement a door sweep and implement silicone caulk at its base. In case the sliding door track is leaking, you should place caulk at its bottom. Finally, if the problem persists, you should find a professional plumber.
As soon as you enter this guide: https://www.ehow.com/how_5394440_repair-water-damage-laminate-floor.html you will learn how to repair laminate floor from water damage.
- Surround Caulk Failure – If the caulk seals the shower base, the water can easily seep through it and enter the ceiling beneath it. Therefore, you need to re-cult the steams around a shower to prevent this particular problem from happening in the future.
- Tile Grout – In some situations, tile grout can break down, which means that water will enter the wall through cracks. The simplest way to deal with this problem is to reseal the tile by re-grouting it. However, you should check out the tile to see whether it is compromised before returning it to the previous position.